Monday, October 10, 2011

PITA = pain in the a$$



Tonight's intended dinner was gyros using my adaptation of Alton Brown's Gyro Meat, my dear friend Stella's Tzatziaki, and Smitten Kitchen's Pita. Did you notice anything missing from the above photo? Pain in the A$$!

I'd made the pita before, it wasn't complicated. It smells and tastes very good and puffs prettily. I made up the dough, and set it aside and went on with my day. Unfortunately, I somehow stuck the dough in the freezer and NOT the fridge. So, no pita tonight. I'll attempt this one again though. When realized that I wouldn't be having gyros, I pulled out arborio rice and made lemon rice. It's super easy, and that's the recipe I'll leave with you today. Because dude? It's a side dish and dessert in one!


Lemon Risotto 2 ways



1 1/2 cup arborio rice
1 quart water
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp sherry, vodka, or white wine (easily omitted)
pinch of salt
1/2 lemon



1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup dried cherries or dried cranberries
1/4 cup half and half or cream


oregano
pepper
garlic powder
salt
1 tbsp butter


Heat 1 quart of water in tea kettle or sauce pan over medium high heat to simmering.

In a separate 1 quart saucepan, melt 1 tbsp butter. Add 1 1/2 cups of rice, stir. When the rice is partially see through, add 2 tbsp cooking sherry, vodka or white wine (if you want it), the juice of 1/2 of a lemon and then with your veggie peeler, peel the half of a lemon - put the cut side on a cutting board and hold the end, and draw the peeler down the lemon - and put the peel into the rice.


When this has evaporated, add 1 cup water. Stir constantly until this is all but evaporated. Keep adding the simmering water 1/2 cup at a time and keep stirring (I know it's a pain, but I promise it's worth it) until the rice is both creamy and doubled in size and soft. Turn off the heat.

Put 1 1/2 cup of rice in to a bowl, add a pinch of oregano, pinch of pepper, salt to taste, butter. Add a bit more hot water and stir vigorously. Serve with meal.



With the remaining rice, add 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, half and half/cream, and dried cranberries/cherries. Stir vigorously and cool. Now you have a beautiful rice pudding for dessert!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about the poor plating. DH reminded me to take a photo after he took a tomato. I didn't have the heart to arrange the food better as he was hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your failures would be my great, awesome accomplishment. lol Looks like you made it work! I love you changed up the rice recipe. :)
    -farah

    ReplyDelete