Sunday, October 9, 2011

Peanut Brittle

I've been chowing on See's Peanut Brittle and sharing it with co workers so my butt doesn't end up looking like a piece of peanut brittle. I checked out some recipes online and was POSITIVE I could do it. Check out this recipe:


PEANUT BUTTER BRITTLE
2 c. sugar
1/2 c. light corn syrup
1/2 c. water
1/3 c. creamy or chunky peanut butter
1 tsp. baking soda

Grease 2 cookie sheets. Place on wire racks. Stir in 1 1/2 quart saucepan - sugar, corn syrup, and water. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat. Without stirring, cook until temperature reaches 300 degrees on candy thermometer, or until syrup forms hard brittle threads when dropped in cold water. Stir in peanut butter until well blended; remove from heat. Quickly but gently stir in soda. Immediately pour on cookie sheets. DO NOT SPREAD. Cool 3-5 minutes or just cool enough to handle. Take brittle by edges and lifting it, gently pull as thin as possible. Cool. Break into irregular pieces. Store in tightly covered container.


Come on, my 8year old can do that:


Nooooo problem correct? Now, I have agave nectar so I substitute that for the corn syrup. And I want it really peanut buttery so I change the measure from 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup of peanut butter. I don't have chunky peanut butter BUT I bought some roasted nuts the other day and pack it in with the peanut butter. YAY! Also, I don't own a candy thermometer but I do have a turkey thermometer. Which only goes up to 220 degrees. (I'm just as good as Julia, right?)

Here is Cooks.com picture of their submitted photos for peanut brittle:
(actually, this was one of the pictures that THEY said it would look like, lying liars who lie)



Yeah, now here is mine:

It looks more like PoopNut Brittle. DON'T SPREAD, um, why not? It was thicker than mud. It tasted awful too. So, all in all, this was a candy fail. Bite me! Okay, wait, don't bite me.

--farah

3 comments:

  1. Oh my! I think the error is in the recipe. Peanut butter WILL scorch, and I think that's the problem you have here. Thanks for posting that awesomeness though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. also? Rice syrup might be better than agave, as I am rather sure that agave doesn't behave the same way in candy making.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just re-read this. When I looked at the candy, it looked like it haddn't hit the hard crack stage. You DO need a candy thermometer or to test it with the water method. Here is a good link for the water method: http://candy.about.com/od/candybasics/ss/candytempsbs_6.htm

    ReplyDelete