Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pantry Baked Potato Soup




It's gotten cold here in the upper mid-west where I live, and dude? I don't wanna go out in it. I was casting about my kitchen trying to figure out what to make for dinner with the stuff we had on hand.








And I ended up with this:




Bake 2 large baker potatoes (I used russets) or 4 medium potatoes till at least fork tender. I take and squish them a bit with a hot pad. When they give nicely, they are done. If you are doing this step well before, cool and store in the fridge. If not, it'll make your soup faster if they are hot.




About 25 minutes before serving, lay 6 slices of bacon on a baking sheet with sides and bake till crisp at 350* (also? This is how you don't have spatters all over the kitchen) Skip this step if you prefer.




Then:


3tbsp flour


3tbsp butter


melt this together in a 4+ quart pan on medium heat. When melted, let sit, stirring occasionally till it starts to turn light tan.


Then add 1 1/2 c chicken or veggie broth, stir.


Then add 1 c 1/2 & 1/2 (I KNOW, you could use milk if you prefer. I just had some to use up)


Then add 1/2 c sour cream (I'd use plain kifer if I had that instead)


Then add the baked potatoes that you have cubed. I left the skins on because I like them, your choice. Let them warm in the soup, if they are chilled.


Then add 1 cup of grated cheese. Mine was a mix of a sharp cheddar and a fairly young Gouda.


Then taste it. Add salt and pepper to your taste.


If you are skipping bacon, you are done here. If you have fresh chives, add those as a garnish. If you have chive or garlic chive blossoms, it's Spring and you are a lucky cook - make me jealous and use them. If you have a Penzey's near you, go and get their Shallot Pepper and after you've served up a bowl, add that on top. Yum.




If you are adding the bacon, take 4 slices and chop them lightly and stir into the soup. Then chop the remaining two slices and after you've served up the bowl, add them as a garnish to the top. I also used a little pepper (the Hubby loves pepper).




This soup made at least 5 1cup servings. Hubby had a huge bowl, I ate about half of the portion above and there was another bowlful in the pot.

1 comment:

  1. Skipping bacon is un-American. (Skipping Canadian bacon is un-Canadian)

    ReplyDelete