Friday, October 21, 2011

Cornish Pasties

Not to be confused with the other kind of pasties. If you would like information on this kind of pasty you can find it Here.

Now, let it be known that I have made pasties before and I'm chronically bad at rolling out the crusts too thick. These were some of my better tries but still too thick. 

The recipe itself is a good base but there are some big issues I take with this recipe which I'll share after I give you all the recipe.

Their photo

310 g (2 1/2 cups) plain (all-purpose) flour
125 g (4 1/2 oz) butter, chilled and chopped
150 g (5 1/2 oz) round steak, finely chopped
1 small potato, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 small carrot, finely chopped
1-2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons beef stock
1 egg, lightly beaten

Grease a baking tray. Place flour, butter, and a pinch of salt in a food processor and process for 15 seconds, or until crumbly. Add 4-5 tablespoons of water and process in short bursts until the mixture comes together (add more water if needed). 

Turn out onto a floured surface and form into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes. 

Preheat the oven to 210 degrees Celsius (415F/Gas 6-7). Mix together the steak, potato, onion, carrot, Worcestershire sauce and stock. Season.

Divid the dough into six portions and roll out each to 3mm (1/8 inch) thick. Using a 16 cm (61/2 inch) diameter plate as a guide, cut out six circles. Divide the filling evenly and put into the centre of each pastry circle.

Brush the edges of each pastry round with beaten egg and form into a semi-circle. Pinch the edges to form a frill and place on the tray. Brush with the remaining beaten egg and bake for 10 minutes. Lower the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350F/Gas 4). Cook for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Makes 6.

Now my first issue with this is the bit about the food processor. I've always made my pasties by hand. So I totally tried it this way. Got halfway through adding water and decided to turn it out onto wax paper and do the rest by hand.

The cooking time was exact in this case however we had left over filling and not enough dough. I would suggest doubling the dough and just adding a little bit more potato and meat. 

Now as for taste, they were good but rather bland. Everyone in my family said next time add more Worcestershire sauce and mixing it with the beef stock and I would recommend letting the meat sit in the mixture and soak for a good 10 minutes before adding the carrots, potatoes, and onions.

Also when they say small potato, they mean small but my family loves potatoes and carrots which is why I think doubling the dough and adding more filling would do good with this recipe.

So all in all it is a great base recipe but could definitely use a little work.

2 comments:

  1. This looks SO good. A clove of garlic (grated) would probaby help flavor a lot, but the additional worchestershire sauce is probably a smart move.

    My other thought is that if you roll your dough thinner, your filling will probably get used. :)

    I'm terrified of pastry crust, but if you tell me this is easy, I'll believe you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really great! Have you ever used lard? I'm looking for it in the grocery store but cannot find it, yet.

    I need me some lard.

    ReplyDelete